Friday, March 9, 2018


STARS

       Last night, when I looked up at the sky, I noticed that the sky was dark blue. I knew that the wind was blowing because the leaves blew across the grass. As the leaves were blowing, I knew I would see stars. I was surprised by their brightness. It was as if the brightness of the stars blinded me. Amazed by the beauty of the stars, I started wondering... who made them so beautiful?
        I got a little hungry and went to buy a snack at 7 Eleven. I passed by many stores to get to 7 Eleven. The cashier asked me "What do you want to buy?" I said that I wanted to get some nachos, soda, and gummy bears. I walked out with a bag and went back home. Once in my room, I started to gaze at the Sky again. Oh, how beautiful that night sky was. 

Vocabulary: 

Blew: To be moved by air 
Surprised: The feeling that us caused by an unexpected event, fact, etc. 
Brightness: The state of being bright
Blinded:Not being able to see
Amazed: Feeling or showing great surprised
Wondering: A state in which you want to know more of something
Cashier: A person who charges for items in a store
Gaze: To look long at something because it is of great amazement

Vocabulary Exercise:

Write sentences using the vocabulary words

Grammar Point:

Homophones
Homophones are words that are pronounced the same but have different meanings and may be spelled differently. The word homophone comes from the Greek word "homos" meaning the same and "phone" which means sound. 

Some examples of homophones are...
To, two, and too
There, they're, and their 


Grammar Activity:
Find the homophones in the text above. Provide the definition of each homophone. 

  



4 comments:

  1. I really liked that your grammar activity referred back to your passage! I think it was helpful for students to practice identifying homophones with a familiar text. To build on your activity, after students identify the homophones in the passage, maybe they can do a writing activity to make their own sentences with homophones. This lesson would then cover both Reading and Writing in your learning activities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sonia,

    Again, I am noticing that we have a ton in common. I also am a star gazer. My friends used to joke around with me that the song "Stars" by Switchfoot was written for me. I also really liked how you went on to describe the rest of your night. I think students would really enjoy and appreciate that. It isn't every day a kid gets to see their teacher being a normal person who eats nachos, drinks soda, and likes gummy bears! That was great. And I agree with Marianna, the grammar point activity was very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The passage was easy to read and realistic, I believe that students would enjoy this blog. I like that you provided examples of homophones for students to see. BLUE and BLEW, I also like that you were able to creatively incorporated these in your story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice entry! you give us a glimpse at a serene moment of looking at the sky. You give a good, brief introduction to homophones.

    ReplyDelete

A Voyage In The Clouds         A ride in a hot air balloon sounds amazing. What could be better than riding a hot air balloon with an a...